Wednesday, March 9, 2011

SPRING, SUMMER AND WEDNESDAYS



Welcome to Wednesday in my little corner of the world and still it is wet wet wet.  Today the weather is clearing and the clouds lifting.  Yesterday was a grey grey day and I put my car into the drive way to get a wash.

International Women's Day was 8th. March and as it is still 8th. March is some little corners of the world I am sharing some of my feelings about the day.

It is the 100th. Anniversary of this special day - a day when we can acknowledge those who have blazed a trail for us and to whom we owe a debt of gratitude.

Looking back over the years I see standing tall so very man women I admire and I could list dozens of them.  The significant women to me as those like Emmeline Pankhurst who chained herself to railings so that I could have the right to vote. Now women stand tall in Government and Halls of Learning, Boards of Banks etc.

Rosa Parks who, in 1952 refused to give up her seat in a bus for a white man in Montgomery, Alabama she became the "Mother of the Freedom Movement" and the "First Lady of Civil Rights"   what a brave soul she was.


Rosa Parks - in 1955 with Martin Luther King.




Mother Theresa -  (1910 - 1997) Indian Nun, received the Nobel Peace Prize for her work in Calcutta, India with the Missionaries of Charity



As I said I could list them - so perhaps will list a few who have certainly left their mark and impressed me with their grit and determination:

Indira Ghandi
Golda Meir
Florence Nightingale
Jane Austen
Helen Keller
Margaret Thatcher
and so very many more - too many to list.,

and there are those who used their music to tell the story and work for peace - Joan Baez - listen to this track of her singing - she is now 70 and still very beautiful and passionate about her work.


The sentiments in that Dylan song are what I wish for you.

Of course closer to today are the young women who work actively and passionately - I include the special young women in my life who see the stars and aim for them.  Rebecca, Naomi, Alexis and Melinda - I am proud of you all.


The Politicians who went to University with my younger daughter - go Kate go.

This is a quote from the facebook page of one of my special "young women"

"Equal pay. Equal rights. Equal opportunities. Freedom from violence. Freedom from abuse. Freedom from poverty. Freedom of choice. Freedom to think and speak. Worldwide.
Thank you to the women before us. Affection and strength for the women ahead." 

Happy International Women's Day 2011 :)


It makes me proud when I read that passion there - I am glad to hand the torch to the next generation knowing that it is in very good hands - they are "the daughters of the women of the second wave."

Just as important are those who daily nurse, care and nurture the next generation.  Those who work long hours of shift work caring for the sick and those in pain - I salute you all.

To those for whom children were not a part of life who continue to work in business and by doing that give us the benefit of their knowledge and the comfort that things are in good hands.

I am proud to be a Woman in this day and age and give thanks for those who went before me and made it a much easier pathway for me to walk and I offer strength to those yet to come.  I think of little ones like Grace and wonder what their journey will be and hope that I can be on the sidelines cheering them on.


We haven't broken through the glass ceiling yet but we have sure put a big crack in it - there is still lots to be done and it is being done and achieved by beautiful women who work hard to support their beliefs.

On International Women's Day and always I hope you are able to stand up and be proud of what you have achieved or are working on achieving - wear a purple ribbon and stand tall.  I love you all.

From the passion in this post I guess you can tell I am well and very happy to be alive and in this world.

Picking up soap box and walking away - thank you for reading "The Musings of my Woman Heart."

Love and hugs,


and just in case you forget who you are - "I am Woman" by Helen Reddy.


I Am Woman

-Artist: Helen Reddy from "Helen Reddy's Greatest Hits": EMI ST 11467
-peak Billboard position # 1 for 1 week in 1972
-Words and Music by Helen Reddy and Ray Burton


I am woman, hear me roar
In numbers too big to ignore
And I know too much to go back an' pretend
'cause I've heard it all before
And I've been down there on the floor
No one's ever gonna keep me down again

CHORUS
Oh yes I am wise
But it's wisdom born of pain
Yes, I've paid the price
But look how much I gained
If I have to, I can do anything
I am strong (strong)
I am invincible (invincible)
I am woman

You can bend but never break me
'cause it only serves to make me
More determined to achieve my final goal
And I come back even stronger
Not a novice any longer
'cause you've deepened the conviction in my soul

CHORUS

I am woman watch me grow
See me standing toe to toe
As I spread my lovin' arms across the land
But I'm still an embryo
With a long long way to go
Until I make my brother understand


But it's wisdom born of pain
Yes, I've paid the price
But look how much I gained
If I have to I can face anything
I am strong (strong)
I am invincible (invincible)
I am woman
Oh, I am woman
I am invincible
I am strong


No comments: