Saturday, October 9, 2010



Well here it is the middle of the night and I can't sleep so am here blogging away. I tossed and turned for a while then decided that I would get up for a while.   I have checked my mail and sorted through some things on line and am about to head back to bed for a while and see what happens.

I promised "Special Saturdays" and right now it is special to me to be able to share thoughts with you.  Those reading this blog are very special people who choose to check up on me and see that I am doing well.  Thank you for that.

I do have a busy day ahead - lawns to be done this morning and I must do some more in that room - I have reached the point of no return.  I am sure you can all relate that it gets to the stage where you wish you hadn't started - it all gets into such a mess for a while.  But you can't make an omelette without breaking a few eggs I guess.  I am hoping that I am half way into the "pond" (or is it the abyss?) and that each thing I do from now on takes me closer to completing the task.  I am frustrated because I can't do things as quickly as I used to do, and have to ask for help with things that I would have breezed through before - but grateful that I can do them at all and that I am alive to ask and see them done and then enjoy.

Having lunch with a friend and doing the cryptic crossword puzzle (I have to keep my brain sharp and alert.)  Then this evening is dinner to celebrate Ilona's birthday - HAPPY BIRTHDAY ILONA.

I spoke to Nicole (of the Transplant Coordinators) yesterday and congratulated the team on achieving the milestone of 200 Liver transplants since the unit was established in 1992.  Nicole tells me that Flinders is now up to 209 transplants and that on 30th. December last year I was number 194 - they have had a busy year thus far.

I am attaching a link to a video clip about a family in Ohio who met the recipients of their daughter's organs - please watch it.  It brought me to tears and I found it very beautiful and special.


There is also a link from the United Kingdom regarding Transplant Kids.  It is long, but very worthwhile watching these brave little souls and very thought provoking - hopefully enough for those of you who haven't had that conversation with your family or registered with the appropriate place in your country to encourage you to do so.  It is long but please make the time for these special children and take note of the number of children who are registered (with parental consent) to be donors.


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MehtoWuyRjc


In Australia it is not just enough to have ORGAN DONOR marked on your drivers licence - although that's a great start.  You need to register on the Organ Donor Register at Medicare:


http://www.medicareaustralia.gov.au/public/services/aodr/index.jsp


Check it out in your Country/State - Google it "organ donation and then your place of residence)  I have told you before I am a "Google girl"

I made arrangements for the prescription for my medication to be put in to the Pharmacy at Flinders ready for my next Clinic appointment.  This saves such a lot of time and waiting.  Clinic is always on a Friday afternoon and usually a late appointment so this enables us to make a "quick getaway" and avoid some of the frenetic Friday traffic.

It is the weekend again and so many of you will be on the roads - please take care, drive safely and be sure to enjoy the time you spend with family and friends making special memories to last.


Special Saturday thoughts and thank you to you all for travelling my journey with me.


I am going back to bed now although it is nearly getting up time - but I will get warm again and listen to the News on radio.


Love and hugs to you all,



"Be who you are and say what you feel because people who mind don't matter and people who matter don't mind." 

Dr Seuss

No comments: