Tuesday, March 1, 2011

TUESDAY AT TEN

Welcome to Tuesday at Ten - well it was when I started this blog but an hour has passed and I have spent most of that on the telephone chatting with my daughter.

Welcome to St. David's Day (Patron Saint of Wales) and my Welsh Heritage prompts me to wish you:

Dydd Dewi Sant Hapus/Happy Saint David's Day


A photo of my Welsh Flag  and some glorious daffodils.


\


and a recipe for Welsh Cakes.




Welsh cakes

Ingredients

Four easy steps to making the perfect treat for teatime. Serve with lashings of butter and jam.

Preparation method

  1. Rub the fat into the sieved flour to make breadcrumbs. Add the sugar, dried fruit and then the egg. Mix to combine, then form a ball of dough, using a splash of milk if needed.
  2. Roll out the pastry until it is a 5mm/¼in thick and cut into rounds with a 7.5-10cm/3-4in fluted cutter.
  3. You now need a bake stone or a heavy iron griddle. Rub it with butter and wipe the excess away. Put it on to a direct heat and wait until it heats up, place the Welsh cakes on the griddle, turning once. They need about 2-3 minutes each side. Each side needs to be caramel brown before turning although some people I know like them almost burnt.
  4. Remove from the pan and dust with caster sugar while still warm. Some people leave out the dried fruit, and split them when cool and sandwich them together with jam.



I am proud of my Welsh Heritage and share these with you with pride.

A good day today - Tuesday and a cool day today - a visit to the Dentist - Outstanding report - 6 months before I need to go back and at that time will require some work and a general antibiotic coverage.  I think we are really putting it off because both Liz (my Dentist) and I are scared of the Stevens Johnson issue and the allergies.  It is always lovely to catch up with Liz and to talk a while.  She is great.

Off to Radiology for a chest Xray and then home again - all done in an hour and thanks to peaceful road traffic we were home again two hours after leaving.  A nice start to the day.

I stopped what I was doing to join New Zealand in their time of silence for their earthquake ravaged city and the lives lost - a week has gone by and I am guessing for many of those people life has stood still.

Have a wonderful day - on this special Tuesday - each day is special - the sky is bluer, the grass greener and life so much sweeter for me.

Love and hugs and thank you for stopping by to read "The Musings from my heart."



No comments: