Monday, June 27, 2011

MONDAY - OLD DOGS AND CHILDREN AND WATERMELON WINE.


Tom T. Hall - Old Dogs and Children and Water Melon Wine.

Good Morning and welcome to Monday - sun shine and blue skies in Adelaide this morning and I am a little behind this morning - been doing lots of thinking and not writing.   I heard this piece of music at sometime through the night when I had the radio on and couldn't sleep.  It got me to thinking about "old dogs and children".

I have been blessed to have both in my life.  My own precious children (who would be appalled if they thought I called them children), others I have loved as my own and lots of other children.    Each one of them has brought their own special magic and inspiration.   The funny things they have said, the kindnesses they have done and oh the joy of their laughter, the busy times when noise and chaos reigned.   The achievements that I have shared with them - they are certainly worth more than a solitary dime.  I also have boxes filled with their creations - no value to many but priceless to me.

I loved mine long before they were born, we played music to them in utero and I talked to them and read stories to them, and I loved them more the instant I set eyes on them and there is nothing I would not have done for them and I knew then that I would die for them and still would. 

My song of gratitude when I was so ill was my thankfulness that it was me and not my children going through the experience and the pain I saw in their eyes then worried me more than I worried about myself.  Thankfully their eyes are clearer and the pain is not there now.  Aren't organ transplants a wonderful thing?

I am still blessed to have children in my life - Grace and Henry bring lots of joy and smiles to me and the welcomes are always sweet and warm.  I have two teenagers too - Jessica just 13 and Ashleigh coming up to 16 in November - Oh it's going to be fun to watch them grow.

On the "old  dogs" - there have been lots of them in my life and they have all brought joy and pain when the parting came.  I feel blessed to have had them in my life and also privileged to be able to honour their friendship and trust by not allowing them to suffer.  There have been lots of tears at the parting, but there are cherished memories of absolute trust and unconditional love from my pets.  They never minded if I was cranky and were always pleased to see me.  I have such special memories.

As for the "watermelon wine" - I'll take the watermelon in it's natural form on a hot summer day with the juice running down my chin - sweet, cooling and special.

I hope your Monday is a special one and that you are able to share the joy of your children or grandchildren, or any other children in your life.   Watch them splash in puddles with total abandon, hear the shrieks as they play in water and listen to what they say - they are often wise beyond their years.

I have been reading and share this with you 

On Children
 Kahlil Gibran

"Your children are not your children.
  They are the sons and daughters of Life's longing for itself.
   They come through you but not from you,
And though they are with you yet they belong not to you.

You may give them your love but not your thoughts,

For they have their own thoughts.
You may house their bodies but not their souls,
For their souls dwell in the house of tomorrow, 
which you cannot visit, not even in your dreams.


You may strive to be like them, but seek not to make them like you.
For life goes not backward nor tarries with yesterday.
You are the bows from which your children as living arrows are sent forth.


The archer sees the mark upon the path of the infinite,
and He bends you with His might that His arrows may go swift and far.
Let your bending in the archer's hand be for gladness;  For even as He loves the arrow that flies,  so He loves also the bow that is stable."

Very beautiful words which I love and often read - I hope you find some comfort in them.


I don't want to ever grow old - I will gladly linger in the garden of childhood - they seem to have such fun there.   " Growing old is mandatory but growing up is optional" and I am happy to take the second option.

Live life to the full and thank you for visiting and reading "The Musings from my Heart"

Love and hugs,
Linda.



2 comments:

Diane said...

Fantastic! Beautiful! as always Linda.. love reading your post NOW If google will let me post..

Linda J. said...

Thank you Diane - I really appreciate your comments. Life is good - alive and well and loving life.

Love and hugs,
Linda.