Friday, October 28, 2011

FRIDAY AND SAIL AWAY FROM YOUR SAFE HARBOUR



Sailing - Rod Stewart

Good Morning and welcome to the last Friday in October for 2011 and I have woken to a warm morning with a milky sort of sky and the promise of thunder and rain - great barbeque weather.  !!

Those of you who know me well will know that I love all things nautical and that Rod Stewart is a firm favourite of mine - hence the music for today's blog.

When I read the words on the image this morning they touched my heart and it made me aware of how much we have to trust and leave the safe harbour to get on with our journey.  Our lives are improved and I am enchanted by lapping waves and the gentle roll of the tides - and captivated by the changes of the ocean.  I hold a very great respect for the sea and her moods - she is fickle and changeable and can be a dangerous place to be.

I can relate to this very well - after a lengthy stay in hospital it was very scary to get out and join the world  - I needed and wanted the security of my safe harbour (and I still do) but I am learning to weather the storm and venture forth.

I am sharing something I wrote in 2006 - All Things Nautical.

ALL THINGS NAUTICAL

"My memory stirred
 And it brought to mind
My times beside the sea ~
All the things I would find.
Shells to be collected,
Seaweed and sand,
Tiny fish and lapping waves
A bucket and spade in my hand.

A starfish and small crabs
In a small rock pool,
Summer holidays, days in the sun
Time away from School.
Sun on the horizon
A gentle sea breeze,
Shade from the sun,
My memories are these.

A beach ball to play with,
Cricket bat and ball,
Games with my family,
Best days of all.
Walks in the morning
When the day is brand new,
Watching the sunset,
Memories of you.

Walks in the evening,
Cold and damp sand,
Carrying my shoes – 
You holding my hand.
Moonlight on the water,
A diamond filled sky,
Winter winds blowing
Sand in my eye,

Light from a lighthouse,
Huge crashing waves,
Sea spray on my face
A changing of days.
Sunlight and moonlight,
Days without end,
Times by the Ocean ~
The Ocean – my friend,"

© Linda J. Vaughan
July 2006

My Father loved the ocean and I think the instilled that into me - and I find him close when I see and feel the ocean and her tides and beauty.

Sometimes the winds of life blow and my tiny craft is tossed and blown but I am learning to ride it out and to feel the beauty after the storm.   How about your boat - are you sailing safely and calmly or do the storms rage about you?

Take some comfort in the fact that the storms will pass and you can then again sail on and enjoy your days and the beauty of our world.

I wish you full sails and a harbour full and deep to return to - may the trade winds guide you safely through life.

Happy sailing to you - and thanks for visiting The Musings from My Heart.

Love and hugs,
Linda. 

No comments: