Saturday, April 14, 2012

THE BLISS OF SOLITUDE



"For oft, when on my couch I lie
In vacant or in pensive mood,

They flash upon that inward eye
Which is the bliss of solitude;
And then my heart with pleasure fills,
And dances with the daffodils."

William Wordsworth

Welcome to my Saturday in Adelaide where the sun is shining and the sky is a beautiful blue and there are clouds floating around  ~ soft, small and fluffy white ones.   It is spring in the northern hemisphere and of course my heart turns to thoughts of daffodils again and today I am having a very quite day home alone and enjoying the "bliss of solitude"

We are in our autumn phase, but Mother Nature is, I think determined to show us one last blaze of summer glory with high temperatures forecast for the coming week.  I don't mind it at this time of year because the evenings are cool and the nights pleasant for sleeping.   It is at this time of year that I came home from a very long stay in hospital and I remember sitting outside in early afternoons just enjoying the warmth of the sun and the fresh air.

Our years are governed by the changing seasons and the phases of the moon and we add to those the celebratory seasons such as Mother's Day and Anzac Day and Memorial Day.  They are all markers of how quickly the time is passing and how that very soon we will be one quarter of the way through the year.   Our children are on School Holidays here in South Australia for two weeks and it is certainly delightful weather for them.  There are times when I lose track of the school dates because I have no cause to remember them, but I have lovely memories of the days when my children were on holidays and the things we did. 

My phone rang early this morning and it was Naomi sharing news of her friend Kate and her new little daughter born last night at 11.00.p.m. ~ they got the phone call at 2.00.a.m. and were delighted to share in the news of the arrival of Avie Grace ~ such a special time and babies are a reminder to us that life is good and should go on.

Today my day is mellow - and I have spent the morning tidying up my stationery, stamps, stickers, pens and labels and writing letters by hand.   It is a dying art but Joe and I are determined to keep it going and exchange hand written letters often.  Going to collect the mail is delightful and the joy of sitting down and reading words written by hand is pure magic.

To those nurturing a spring garden no doubt the week has brought some new growth and some changes and I am sure you delight in this life that has lain dormant during a cold and unforgiving winter time. 

My pink rose is going through the last flush of summer blossoming and the wind of the last few days has almost finished the remaining blossoms, but they were perfect when there.


This was the last bud I picked and photographed.

Rebecca and Nick are in Amsterdam for Floriade 2012 and this link will take you to a joyous site for a lovely look around.


no doubt they will have a wonderful time ~ she did say it was very busy with tourists and people on bicycles.

I wish you a joyous weekend however you plan to spend it ~ be it at the beach, at home or away with family and friends.    Ray has gone to spend the second week of the school holidays with Grace and Henry and they will love that.

For those of you already well into your Saturday like me I wish you a lovely afternoon and evening and to those who will soon wake to a new day ~ give thanks for being alive that you are able to get out of bed and take life by the hands and enjoy the love of friends and family.

I wish you love and laughter, health and happiness, moonbeams and magic and a wonderful weekend ~ thanks for calling by to read the musings of my heart ~ a heart today at peace with itself and the world.

Love and hugs,
Linda. 

No comments: