Saturday, August 21, 2010

Good Morning - a winter Saturday - a winter Election.

Today is Voting Day in Australia and it will be a day of highs and lows for many people.  I have voted and am hoping and wishing and praying for the return of a Labor Government to halls of Government in this Country.   I made sure my vote was valid and not informal and I hope it made a difference.




Apart from who wins and who loses this is a time to reflect on the fact that we do indeed live in a Democracy where we have the freedom to vote for the party of our choice.  As a woman, I always reflect on the women who stood up and were counted and did indeed make a difference in that they chained themselves to fences and marched so that my daughters and I have this right to vote.
To those brave and enlightened women - I say Thank You.

Voting in Australia is compulsory and if one does not vote a letter will arrive in the mail asking for the reason and if it is not a valid reason then a fine will be issued.  I think it is a good thing to have compulsory voting because we as Australians are generally apathetic and too lazy to do it.

I love Polling Day - and in particular I love to see the passion in my daughters and know that in some way I have been part of that.  My younger daughter has already cycled to see me to have a pre-vote chat.  Her mind is well and truly made up - but she shares my passion and says she has a "bottle of bubbly" on ice ready to celebrate whatever wins we have.

This could be a very important day in Australian History and could see the election of the First elected Female Prime Minister.   Go Julia Gillard, Go.  Let's hope this is so.  Bring it home!

I am doing fine - already made some cup cakes and burned some cup cakes this morning - one lot is fine and the other has been tossed in the bin - I got carried away election chatting with my daughter and forgot them in the oven.
I am hoping that is the biggest disaster of the day - actually hoping it is the only one.


I did have another one - flicked my hand as I walked through the garden and flicked off my engagement ring - I then spent about two hours raking and looking to see if I could find it - thank goodness I did.   Sneaky thing was hiding under a leaf at the edge of the lawn.   All my rings are too big on me now so I shall just have to be more careful.  I am very relieved to have found it.


The sun is shining, the sky is blue and I have laundry drying in the breeze - a much enjoyed relief from the howling winds of the last week.

Tomorrow will see me either elated or disappointed - come what may I will still be grateful to be alive and living in such a beautiful free country.

Take care, be safe and happy.


Love and hugs,








Those who stay away from the election think that one vote will do no good: 'Tis but one step more to think one vote will do no harm.











No comments: