Sunday, May 22, 2011

SUNDAY MORNING AND ON YOUR BIKE


The Mixtures - The Pushbike Song.

Welcome to a windy, grey and wet day in this fair City - we have had rain overnight but not as much as had been forecast.  It is a beautiful day to be inside which is why I was surprised to hear the gates open and to see my younger daughter push her bike through the gates.

She rides her bike everywhere and I am in awe of how she fits so much into her life.   We spent a lovely hour with coffee and conversation and looking for recipes.  She rides in to work in the City each day and home again and often takes rides just for pleasure along the River and to the beach.

I had two children when i was her age so I guess I was busy in different ways - she seems to fit so much into her life - work full time, study, movies, dinners and still have time to spend with Mum on Sunday morning - I am in awe of the organizational skills and the fitness regime.

She and her partner are holding a dinner party next weekend to celebrate the 50th. Birthday of Amnesty International (which is where Naomi works).  There will be dinner celebrations all over the world in restaurants and homes.  They have chosen an Indian theme and we spent time researching my recipe books for things to make.


Amnesty International (commonly known as Amnesty and AI ) is an international non-governmental organisation whose stated mission is "to conduct research and generate action to prevent and end grave abuses of human rights, and to demand justice for those whose rights have been violated."
Founded in London in 1961, Amnesty draws attention to human rights abuses and campaigns for compliance with international laws and standards. It works to mobilise public opinion to put pressure on governments that let abuse take place The organisation was awarded the 1977 Nobel Peace Prize for its "campaign against torture",and the United Nations Prize in the Field of Human Rights in 1978.
In the field of international human rights organisations (of which there were 300 in 1996), Amnesty has the longest history and broadest name recognition, and "is believed by many to set standards for the movement as a whole."


She has plans to make a "candle cake" for the dinner as the candle and barbed wire has long been the symbol of Amnesty.


I have been a member of Amnesty for many years and it brings joy to me to see her working actively in this field as she has a very compassionate heart.  Her law Degree stands her in good stead too.


and I am sure that a Google search will find the details for Amnesty in the country in which you live.  They depend of volunteers for a lot of the work they do campaigning and I am sure if you have some time to spare they would value your offer of help.

It certainly will be an inside day for me and one I shall relish - I hope that whatever you do on this Sunday brings joy to your heart - perhaps you will be on your bike too.  Cycling with friends, children or just alone can bring lots of joy - to feel the wind on your face is a great experience.   Those who can no longer cycle - remember the good times when you did and all the funny experiences you had.  

My first cycling memories are of riding my bike to the Library and bringing books home in the basket on the front of the bike.

For a long time I rode a bicycle with a seat on the back and carried Naomi there - we rode miles and miles and had lots of fun.  She, being the sociable child she was would wave to everyone and the bike would take a lean to the side - fortunately we never came off.  We didn't have helmets in those days and very little other safely gear,  but obviously it started something with Naomi.  Ride on young lady I am proud of you for who you are and for the work you do.

However you choose to spend your day walking, talking, reading - whatever meets your needs I hope that you enjoy it - either alone or with family and friends and I am grateful to you for visiting and reading "The Musings from my Heart.

Love and hugs,


1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thank you for the information on Amnesty and thank goodness there are people like your daughter in our world.

My first memory of bike riding was my first lesson. Oh dear, my brother was supposedly holding me upright. I did not know I was doing it myself until I asked him how to steer when there was a truck looming in front of me. I got a new bike! Oh the joys