Friday, October 21, 2011

FRIDAY ~ BOOKS, BANTER AND MUSIC


The Music of the Night - Josh Groban

Good Morning and welcome to Friday morning in Adelaide where the sun is shining and the cool breeze is blowing and I am loving it.    I have not had a good sleep and spent a lot of the night listening to music and reading  - little sleep but a lovely way to spend time - warm and snug in my bed and taken away to other places both by the music and the book.

I love books and reading and had a conversation with a friend yesterday who certainly does not understand my passion for books.   He is a reader but that's it.   I tried to explain my passion about the paper, the size, the smell and the tactile feelings of turning the pages and wondering who has read this book.  He could not understand the fact that some books I can borrow - but some I have to own.   Books in all shapes and sizes, colours, and on many and varied topics.  Those of you who love books will understand that they are not just something to be picked up, read and tossed aside - they are friends who keep us company.  I slide my hands over shiny pages and love the parchment or vellum pages of treasured books. 

I feel this way about music too - I love the way it wraps itself around me, brings me to tears and heights of joy, soothes and comforts me and is a medium that can express the passion I feel for life.  The piece I have chosen to share today "The Music of the Night" from The Phantom of the Opera is such a piece - I become misty eyed when I listen to it.   If you were to ask my favourite piece of music - my response would have to be - the piece that fits together with my day .   I love the grand and glorious pieces by Elgar, Beethoven, Mendelssohn, and yet I can be a country music girl  quite easily.   I love Enya, Katie Meluha, Brooke Fraser and so many others.  I love Kenny Chesney and Dave Matthews.   My mood affects what I listen to - but always music is my companion, my inspiration and my comfort.   

I usually have three or four books on the go and take a book with me when I go to appointments, or travel or go to sit by the river or the beach.  What more could a girl ask for than to sit by the sea, with soft music playing and a good book - with the warmth of the sun?  I always have a book by the computer to pick up if a page takes a while to load. 

I have a bookshelf that will only take teeny tiny books (that's another story) and for a while I had the whole family on a mission to find and buy and bring home little books for that shelf.

That's my love affair with books and music and I wonder what your feelings are about books and reading. 
I am the sort of Aunt that buys books for birthday gifts and I try to find special books for special people.
Henry's birthday gift was a selection of books that he just loves and he didn't mind waiting for them to arrive in the mail.  He wouldn't go in to the store with his Dad after they had collected the mail - he wanted to stay in the car and read his book.   Beautiful.

I couldn't pick a single favourite book, I guess it is the one I am reading at the moment and I do have a "wish to read" list on which is The Great Gatsby, The Grapes of Wrath and many others.

What's your favourite book ?


I am a long established fan of Dr. Seuss books and think I can almost recite most of them from memory - the traditional ones - Green Eggs and Ham, The Cat in the Hat, And to think That I saw it on Mulberry Street. Duck Feet and so many more.
A variation on a theme.


I hope that this Friday is a good one for you and that there is fun in your weekend.  Try to listen to some music and find a book, a comfortable spot, nice coffee and then the pages take you away.

Thanks for visiting "The Musings of My Heart" and I wish you sunshine in your shadows and a peaceful journey.

Love and hugs,
Linda. 

No comments: