Monday, October 3, 2011

IT'S MONDAY AND IT'S A JOLLY HOLIDAY




Jolly Holiday from Mary Poppins.
(Julie Andrews and Dick Van Dyke)

Welcome to Monday Morning in my little corner of the world and it is a public holiday for most of Australia today - and for me the weather is glorious and it is indeed a "Jolly Holiday".   I love Mary Poppins and can't count the number of times I have watched it nor the different children I have rediscovered it's magic with.   Enjoy Jolly Holiday and the Penguin Dance on the film clip.

Sun is shining, soft and white fluffy clouds in a azure sky - my bed linen is washed and flapping in the breeze - bed has fresh clean linen on - and all is well in my world.  Sunshine in my heart too as I remember other holidays when all I could do was rest in bed - I am thankful indeed for this and every day.

Today our holiday is for Labour Day (or Eight Hours Day) Labour Day, also known as Eight Hours Day in Tasmania and May Day in the Northern Territory, commemorates the granting of the eight-hour working day for Australians. It also recognizes workers’ contributions towards the nation’s economy. It is an annual public holiday and its date varies across the states and territories.



Many people use the Labour Day holiday as part of a long weekend where they can relax, spend time with friends or family members, play or watch sport, have barbecues. Some people plan a getaway trip to a coastal region, the mountains or the countryside where they can engage in various activities such as picnics, wine-tasting at a winery, bush-walking, or camping.

Throughout the nation, Labour Day is an occasion for unions, community groups and the general public to join in celebration. In Queensland’s capital city of Brisbane there are marches are held on or around Labour Day. They are often led by the state’s key political leaders and influential key figures. Union members often take part in these marches.

For me - it has become just another day - it's like that when you no longer go to work - you just enjoy another day with family and friends who are normally at work.   Enjoy Labour Day - however you spend it - and to those who have to work we are thinking of you.

My cat has just come inside after sleeping in the sun and has obviously become too warm because she just flopped down and gave a big sigh - she has come inside to cool down a little.

The whole day stretches in front of me and I have so much I would like to do and yet it won't matter if I don't get it done - most of it is for pleasure and I seem to be on top of things that absolutely have to be done.   I like to get things done before a hospital visit and that is on my horizon.  I have chosen to decline an invitation to the movies as I don't want to expose myself to infection this close to a surgery.  There will be other days when I can enjoy the movies and an ice cream with friends.

Sitting here with music of my choice and lovely coffee reminds me how blessed I am in oh so many ways and there is music and sunshine in my heart on this lovely day for a holiday.

What are your plans for a holiday? or is it just another day to you?  are you working or playing sport ?  Each of us have such different lives and it so good to be able to share them with each other.

I imagine my daughters are making the most of this Long Weekend - Rebecca took Friday off so she has had a four day break which is a good thing and as it is the first week of the school break - lots of people will be taking the opportunity to get away for longer than just a three day weekend.

Whatever you are doing, wherever you are - 

This is my wish for you: Comfort on difficult days, smiles when sadness intrudes, rainbows to follow the clouds, laughter to kiss your lips, sunsets to warm your heart, hugs when spirits sag, beauty for your eyes to see, friendships to brighten your being, faith so that you can believe, confidence for when you doubt, courage to know yourself, patience to accept the truth, Love to complete your life.

Thanks for visiting and reading the Musings from My Heart - on this Jolly Holiday.

Love and hugs,
Linda. 

No comments: